Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Meanest Squirrel I Ever Met

My sister and I are both raising young readers.  This may seem like an otherwise unremarkable statement; but when you take into consideration that I am almost nine years older than my sister, the fact that we started our families only two years apart becomes a little more unusual.  I only mention this because of the impact our age difference has on the story I am about to tell you .

About the time I was growing out of children’s books, my sister was growing into them.  I have vivid memories of, as a twelve-year-old, reading books to my then-three-year old sister.  We shared a bedroom, so in order for me to get in some bedtime reading for myself, I’d have to get her to go to sleep first.  As a result, I, have my own special connection to the books that were important to my sister when she was a growing reader.
Which brings me to The Meanest Squirrel I Ever Met by Gene Zion.


My sister and I were chatting over the phone earlier this week about the books that were important to us when we were the age our children are now.  I was telling her about a few of my favorites (which I’ll post about later on) when she asked, “Do you remember the book about the squirrel?”  
And I did – vaguely.   
I got on amazon, where one seller had a copy listed for something ridiculous like $66.  I did some more poking around and – thankfully- found a used copy for just a few bucks.  When it arrived in the mail today, it was like being reunited with an old friend. 

Seeing the title page flooded me with memories of sharing this book with my sister.


I can’t wait to read it with Kiddo tonight.
What are some of your favorite books from your early reading life?  Do you still have them?  Do you share them with your kiddos? 








4 comments:

  1. Ellie,

    I love your blog! Totally awesome writing and story telling...along with quote mastering that boggles my mind!

    How did you create that tag line at the end? Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andie,
      Thank you for your comment! The snazzy signature is the result of me playing around with my scanner and a snipping tool... I'd be happy to show you how too!

      Happy Reading,
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. "The Magic Tablecloth, the Magic Goat, and the Hitting Stick" by Freya Littledale is one of my all time favorites. I think it is a Polish folk tale and one of those garage sale finds you speak about in more recent conversations. Another was the "Billy Goats Gruff." When I got older, maybe fourth grade,I discovered the book "The Castle in the Attic" by Elizabeth Winthrop. It is a wonderful magical tale that I still love to this day. It transported me to a magical place. The little boy in the book has an English nanny and I always thought that was so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED that Magic Stick story too - thank you for reminding me of it. I don't know that I remember Castle in the Attic.... but I'm adding it to my library list.

      Happy Reading,
      Ellie

      Delete