Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Dragon's Fat Cat - an Easy Reader Review

Have you met Dragon yet?  No?  Let me introduce you to Kindergarten Kiddo’s newest favorite book,  Dragon’s Fat Cat by Dav Pilkey:





The book is divided into four chapters of about seven pages each.  As you can see below, the pages are not too densely worded, which means its text-to-picture ratio falls right in the sweet spot  for emerging K-2 readers that want to read it on their own.    

This charming book tells the story of well-meaning, but dimwitted Dragon who finds a fat cat outside his door huddled in the snow.   Kind-hearted Dragon brings the cat inside and names her, aptly, Cat.  Hilarity ensues as we watch Dragon learn to care for Cat.


There’s a twist to the story that we won’t reveal here, but rest assured that in the end all is well.

Easy Reader chapter books like this one are great for several reasons, three of which I will list here: 
  1. If Kiddo reads the book straight through she feels like a big kid reading a chapter book. 
  2. If Kiddo doesn’t feel up to reading the entire book alone, she and I can trade off- I read a chapter, she reads a chapter. 
  3. Kiddo can read one chapter, then set the book aside and finish the next chapter later.
I will expand upon the good, the not-so-good, and the just plain ugly of Easy Readers in a later post - I promise. 

THANK YOU MOLLY- faithful blog reader and frequent leaver of comments – for recommending Dragon’s Fat Cat by Dav Pilkey.  Kindergarten Kiddo has enjoyed reading this book on her own and with me.  

We can’t wait to read more of the books in the series:

A Friend for Dragon

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad she likes that book! I love it! Lily likes it too. I found it because it was on one of those lists I was telling you about in your time saver blog. It was on the "dragon" list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly,
      I'm so glad that you told us about it! I find it fascinating how different libraries choose to organize their book collections. I want to explore this topic more.

      Happy Reading,
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Just wanted to let you know I posted the link for this blog on facebook! Hopefully there will be many more readers soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohooooo!!!!! Thank you! I can think of no greater compliment as a writer than to know that your readers are sharing your work with their friends. I am so thankful for your kindness.

      Happy Reading,
      Ellie

      Delete