Pages

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Reasons Why I LOVE Picture Books with CDs #1

When I was a kid my mom did most of her grocery shopping at Albertson’s grocery store.  They were known for their in-store bakery which churned out piping hot French bread every hour, on the hour.  Once a week – usually on a Friday afternoon – Mom would stop in to stock up on groceries and as a treat she would buy TWO loaves of that delicious hot French bread: one loaf for dinner, and one loaf to nibble on during the car ride home.

I have a similar – though decidedly lower-carb- version of this tradition my Kindergarten Kiddo.  When we visit the library we usually leave with a bag full of books that get stowed in the trunk for safe keeping, but we always choose one special book to savor during the car ride home: a picture book with an accompanying CD audio recording.  Our ritual begins with my Kindergarten Kiddo giggling excitedly as she races to get into her car seat.  She carefully arranges the book on her lap, gently flips open to the title page, and squeals “Ready!”  I pop in the CD and enjoy the story and a blissful, quiet ride home. 

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! I have never thought of it. Do they shelve the audio/book with the regular books? I will have to check it out at our library next time we go.
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Molly,
    Thanks for your question. In our library the picture books with CDs are shelved separately. They have their own shelf. I've even seen them stored in clear plastic bags with built in handles in some libraries. Good luck with your search! I'd love to hear how it turns out. - Ellie

    ReplyDelete